If you have a pet, you have dander. Dander is minute, dry, dead skin cells that become airborne when your pet shakes, scratches, tail wags, rubs against you or your sofa or bed, or when you hug or rub your pet. Those of us, who love pets, don’t even give dander a second thought. It’s all part of being a pet lover. But if you’re allergic, or someone in your family is allergic, pet dander can be a huge issue. Here are 6 air cleaner features that will insure that you get rid of the dander, and enjoy your pet for many years to come.
1. Insist on a HEPA air cleaner. A high efficiency particle arresting (HEPA) air cleaner is designed to remove 99.97% of airborne pollutants that are larger than .3 microns. (A micron is defined as one millionth of a meter.) Dander size ranges from 12-100 microns, so a HEPA air cleaner will remove dander easily.
2. Look for an air cleaner that is designed to run economically and quietly 24 hours every day, cleaning your home even when you’re away. Being able to leave the air purifier on constantly means keeping the particle level, specifically dander, at a continuously low level which means greater comfort for you in your home with your pets.
3. Make sure your air cleaner is made of quality materials and well constructed. Air cleaners made of steel only produce fresh, pure air; while their plastic counterparts often produce gases of their own (off-gassing) caused when the motor heat warms the plastic.
4. If you are choosing an air cleaner for a high visibility area, choose a style that fits with your home and your personality. Air cleaners come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, so you can have your air cleaner stand out or blend in to your décor as much or as little as you like.
5. Select an air cleaner that is compatible with your lifestyle. Some air cleaners require frequent filter changes, or cleaning, or washing, or all of the above. If your lifestyle is too busy to allow you to take time with filter changes, or you just don’t want to spend your extra time with your air cleaner, be sure to choose an air cleaner that requires minimal maintenance.
6. Choose an air cleaner with a substantial guarantee. This assures that your air cleaner will work well for you, your family, and your pets for many years, and it also gives you increased confidence in a manufacturer who will guarantee the success of the air cleaner for longer than 6 months or a year.
Ionic air cleaners works quite differently compared to other types of air cleaners. Ionic air cleaners or commonly called as ionizers operates by releasing negative ions into the air. They use tiny little electrical charged wires or needles to create the gas molecules that are filled with negative ions.
When these negative ions are in the air, they stick to dust particles or any airborne particles because of opposite charges. The end result is that the airborne particles becomes too heavy to be airborne and will either fall to the ground or is gathered by the air filter.
Whether or not the particles are collected by the filter or falls to the grounds depends on the type of ionic air cleaner you are using.
There are a couple of benefits to using ionic air cleaners.
#1 Ionic Air filters do not require filters. Since air filters are no longer needed, it can help you to save some money.
#2 Most ionic air cleaners uses collection plates or filter to collect particles. These plates are easy to clean and can be reuse for a long period of time.
#3 Ionic air cleaners can catch the smallest of airborne particles in the air up to 0.01 micron. Most dust, smoke and other particles are bigger than 0.01 micron.
#4 Ionic air cleaners are very cheap compared to other types of air cleaners. So if you are on a budget, you may want to consider getting one.
#5 Ionic air cleaners are extremely quiet when operating so they will not pose much problems in the homes.